One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A record of the DNA sequence of a gene.‘a cancer gene map’
- ‘Much annotation has already been done, and gene maps for all chromosomal regions are available on public databases.’
- ‘The gene map is composed of 79 loci corresponding to 63 carbon metabolism genes and 59 loci corresponding to 44 stage-specific genes.’
- ‘A gene map of the original suppressing clone is shown.’
- ‘In total 37 groups of conserved synteny were identified in the deer and cattle maps and 48 conserved synteny groups were found in the deer and human gene maps.’
- ‘They have been working on a gene map of the mouse brain since 1999 and hope to soon publish the location of several hundred genes.’
- ‘Four years ago the human gene map for performance and fitness related traits had only 29 genes in it.’
- ‘Studying the fruit fly has been remarkably productive over the years, and is set to become more so now that the gene map, the largest so far, is complete.’
- ‘One headline read: ‘Charles Darwin was right and chimp gene map proves it.’’
- ‘We have gene maps, but they're not real useful unless we know about the underlying proteins.’
- ‘DNA extracted from the blood will be held in an anonymous gene library and used to compare gene maps across family groups to identify and isolate the rogue genes.’
- ‘The double-headed arrow below the tyrosinase gene map is the region sequenced for construction of phylogenetic trees of fishes.’
- ‘While it took years to pin down the AIDS virus, the coronavirus that causes SARS was identified and its gene map sequenced and published in less than a month.’
- ‘Almost overnight, dozens of companies backed by enthusiastic venture capitalists popped up, all promising to soon use the human gene map to make personalized medicine the norm.’
2A genome map.
- ‘If you're still concerned about the difference between a gene map and a road map, the ‘Genome Mapping’ section makes that distinction with an interesting analogy.’
- ‘The expression of this to date has been those collective gene maps - the species' genomes - which are announced with great excitement every other week.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.