One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A record of the DNA sequence of a gene.‘a cancer gene map’
- ‘We have gene maps, but they're not real useful unless we know about the underlying proteins.’
- ‘Almost overnight, dozens of companies backed by enthusiastic venture capitalists popped up, all promising to soon use the human gene map to make personalized medicine the norm.’
- ‘One headline read: ‘Charles Darwin was right and chimp gene map proves it.’’
- ‘The gene map is composed of 79 loci corresponding to 63 carbon metabolism genes and 59 loci corresponding to 44 stage-specific genes.’
- ‘Studying the fruit fly has been remarkably productive over the years, and is set to become more so now that the gene map, the largest so far, is complete.’
- ‘Much annotation has already been done, and gene maps for all chromosomal regions are available on public databases.’
- ‘Four years ago the human gene map for performance and fitness related traits had only 29 genes in it.’
- ‘DNA extracted from the blood will be held in an anonymous gene library and used to compare gene maps across family groups to identify and isolate the rogue genes.’
- ‘They have been working on a gene map of the mouse brain since 1999 and hope to soon publish the location of several hundred genes.’
- ‘While it took years to pin down the AIDS virus, the coronavirus that causes SARS was identified and its gene map sequenced and published in less than a month.’
- ‘The double-headed arrow below the tyrosinase gene map is the region sequenced for construction of phylogenetic trees of fishes.’
- ‘A gene map of the original suppressing clone is shown.’
- ‘In total 37 groups of conserved synteny were identified in the deer and cattle maps and 48 conserved synteny groups were found in the deer and human gene maps.’
2A genome map.
- ‘If you're still concerned about the difference between a gene map and a road map, the ‘Genome Mapping’ section makes that distinction with an interesting analogy.’
- ‘The expression of this to date has been those collective gene maps - the species' genomes - which are announced with great excitement every other week.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.