Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A record of the DNA sequence of a gene.‘a cancer gene map’
- ‘Four years ago the human gene map for performance and fitness related traits had only 29 genes in it.’
- ‘We have gene maps, but they're not real useful unless we know about the underlying proteins.’
- ‘In total 37 groups of conserved synteny were identified in the deer and cattle maps and 48 conserved synteny groups were found in the deer and human gene maps.’
- ‘Much annotation has already been done, and gene maps for all chromosomal regions are available on public databases.’
- ‘Almost overnight, dozens of companies backed by enthusiastic venture capitalists popped up, all promising to soon use the human gene map to make personalized medicine the norm.’
- ‘The gene map is composed of 79 loci corresponding to 63 carbon metabolism genes and 59 loci corresponding to 44 stage-specific genes.’
- ‘The double-headed arrow below the tyrosinase gene map is the region sequenced for construction of phylogenetic trees of fishes.’
- ‘While it took years to pin down the AIDS virus, the coronavirus that causes SARS was identified and its gene map sequenced and published in less than a month.’
- ‘One headline read: ‘Charles Darwin was right and chimp gene map proves it.’’
- ‘Studying the fruit fly has been remarkably productive over the years, and is set to become more so now that the gene map, the largest so far, is complete.’
- ‘DNA extracted from the blood will be held in an anonymous gene library and used to compare gene maps across family groups to identify and isolate the rogue genes.’
- ‘They have been working on a gene map of the mouse brain since 1999 and hope to soon publish the location of several hundred genes.’
- ‘A gene map of the original suppressing clone is shown.’
2A genome map.
- ‘If you're still concerned about the difference between a gene map and a road map, the ‘Genome Mapping’ section makes that distinction with an interesting analogy.’
- ‘The expression of this to date has been those collective gene maps - the species' genomes - which are announced with great excitement every other week.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.