Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The discrepancy in opportunities, status, attitudes, etc., between men and women.
- ‘The shrinking of the gender gap in income is ‘even more dramatic,’ he acknowledges.’
- ‘The results show the existence of a noteworthy gender gap.’
- ‘Is it because women share common interests or attitudes that there is a gender gap on support towards sovereignty?’
- ‘However, there was something of a gender gap in responses.’
- ‘Could it be that the most salient divide in our politics is not the gender gap, the marriage gap, or the religion gap, but instead the happiness gap?’
- ‘He talked at one point about perceived problems of gender or a purported gender gap.’
- ‘There's quite a gender gap between the two candidates, isn't there?’
- ‘There is a gender gap in this country, and there's a difference in the way women vote and men vote.’
- ‘Working off of that baseline, the gender gap may not be so remarkable.’
- ‘In the same time period, they ran 392 articles on the gender gap.’
- ‘Because I am gay, my sexual proclivities are not hindered by a gender gap.’
- ‘But like other gender stories, the gender gap also conceals important political differences between women.’
- ‘I've heard that knitting has crossed its traditional gender gap and now it's perfectly reasonable to see a guy working on a sweater while waiting for the bus.’
- ‘The gender gap grew wider when football was added to the equation.’
- ‘This continuing gender gap becomes a larger problem as more and more women are responsible for the economic viability of their families.’
- ‘In Spain, however, there was no gender gap with 25 per cent of men and 25 per cent of women admitting they craved chocolate.’
- ‘Surprisingly, the gender gap in newspaper reading has little to do with working moms or the presence of children in the household.’
- ‘So there's a big gender gap there in favor of men when it comes to Christmas spending this year.’
- ‘An emerging crop of young, talented female designers may change the gender gap in Indonesian fashion, traditionally dominated by men.’
- ‘Though the gender gap in this sector has been reduced to some extent, contextualising the pedagogical system was of utmost importance.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.