One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A precious or semiprecious stone, especially one cut, polished, and used in a piece of jewelry.
- ‘Other attractions include gemstones, temple jewellery and pendants.’
- ‘Gold, gemstones, jewellery and leather are all good buys here.’
- ‘Couldn't she see there were no gemstones on the bracelet that he had given her?’
- ‘The precious gemstones did not appear to be anything out of the ordinary, and simply hung benignly from their chains.’
- ‘Sometimes a merchant would stop by, looking for gemstones or precious metals that couldn't be found anywhere else.’
- ‘The speciality of these pieces is that the gemstones are powdered and used as base colours, which reflects the imagination of the artist.’
- ‘The fabulous wealth of the Mughals is particularly demonstrated through the gemstones and jewellery that they collected.’
- ‘Their lands are known for delicate gold work and abundance of gemstones, especially turquoise.’
- ‘Like those objects, the cup is decorated with gemstones - emeralds, rubies, and sapphires.’
- ‘Examples of various types of opal gemstones and opal jewelry are part of the exhibit.’
- ‘As for the cut and polished gemstones the majority of the pieces that were purchased were calibrated.’
- ‘I propose that rough coloured precious gemstones should be exempt from customs duty just as rough semiprecious stones are.’
- ‘Adjacent to it was a golden ring with three polished gemstones inserted into it.’
- ‘She stopped at a stand selling jewelry and rare gemstones, glancing over its inventory.’
- ‘They were shiny and deep, like actual polished amethyst gemstones.’
- ‘The resulting bracelets and brooches were realised in gold and enamel, encrusted with a dazzling array of precious gemstones.’
- ‘To him, they looked like turquoise gemstones sparkling in the sunlight.’
- ‘Traders in Livingstone have been urged to start dealing in gemstones to sell the precious stones to the many tourists who visit the tourist capital.’
- ‘Until recently few people considered Wyoming to have potential for gemstones other than nephrite jade.’
- ‘His aqua eyes twinkled in the moonlight like gemstones on a lavish piece of jewelry.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.