One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A castrated animal, especially a male horse.
- ‘The total number of horses - 2,668 colts, 2,440 fillies, and two geldings - is 219 more than last year's previous record of 4,891.’
- ‘A record 40 juvenile colts and geldings purchased from sales from around the world have been cataloged for the event that will be conducted by Keeneland Association.’
- ‘They comprised geldings and nags, sumpter horses, teams for coaches, the close carr, the litter and three carts, as well as some hired post horses.’
- ‘A record 5,110 horses - 2,668 colts, 2,440 fillies, and two geldings - are cataloged for the 14-day sale that runs through September 26.’
- ‘The card is highlighted by a pair of stakes of $75,000 stakes for older fillies and mares and for older colts and geldings.’
- ‘His horse was one of the geldings he had noticed during his previous inspection of the barn.’
- ‘Equestrian purchases were prominent, and extra horses, especially geldings and palfreys, were obtained and equipped with pommels of gold and silver.’
- ‘The study group of horses was comprised of 8 horses, four Thoroughbreds and four Warmbloods, of which five were geldings and three were mares.’
- ‘A larger space is needed between stallions and other pastures used by geldings and other horses.’
- ‘Interestingly, arginine-induced insulin release occurred more consistently in mares than in geldings and stallions.’
- ‘Of these, 33 were geldings, 1 was a stallion and the remainder were mares or fillies.’
- ‘This class is for mares or geldings, four years old and over, exceeding 158 cm.’
- ‘Although ranch-broke geldings are the highlight of the sale, we also offer yearlings, weanlings and a select number of started two year olds.’
- ‘After all the mares and geldings were fixed, they headed to the show.’
- ‘Emaciated horses of mixed light breeds (8 mares, 5 geldings, and 1 stallion) and unknown histories were purchased in Mexicali, Mexico or Albuquerque, New Mexico by a commercial buyer.’
- ‘Jane tried to avoid him as she said goodbye to the other geldings.’
- ‘But all thoroughbred geldings are signifiers.’
- ‘I have two Quarter Horse geldings, one age 22, by his papers, and the other is about the same age, give or take a year or two.’
- ‘He completed the six furlongs on a good course in 1: 11.23 in the race for colts and geldings.’
- ‘A full field of two-year-old colts and geldings are entered for the 1 1/16-mile $100,000 Bourbon County Stakes on the turf on Friday.’
Late Middle English: from Old Norse geldingr, from geldr ‘barren’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.