Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A castrated animal, especially a male horse.
- ‘Jane tried to avoid him as she said goodbye to the other geldings.’
- ‘The study group of horses was comprised of 8 horses, four Thoroughbreds and four Warmbloods, of which five were geldings and three were mares.’
- ‘A record 5,110 horses - 2,668 colts, 2,440 fillies, and two geldings - are cataloged for the 14-day sale that runs through September 26.’
- ‘The card is highlighted by a pair of stakes of $75,000 stakes for older fillies and mares and for older colts and geldings.’
- ‘A full field of two-year-old colts and geldings are entered for the 1 1/16-mile $100,000 Bourbon County Stakes on the turf on Friday.’
- ‘A record 40 juvenile colts and geldings purchased from sales from around the world have been cataloged for the event that will be conducted by Keeneland Association.’
- ‘I have two Quarter Horse geldings, one age 22, by his papers, and the other is about the same age, give or take a year or two.’
- ‘The total number of horses - 2,668 colts, 2,440 fillies, and two geldings - is 219 more than last year's previous record of 4,891.’
- ‘Emaciated horses of mixed light breeds (8 mares, 5 geldings, and 1 stallion) and unknown histories were purchased in Mexicali, Mexico or Albuquerque, New Mexico by a commercial buyer.’
- ‘Equestrian purchases were prominent, and extra horses, especially geldings and palfreys, were obtained and equipped with pommels of gold and silver.’
- ‘He completed the six furlongs on a good course in 1: 11.23 in the race for colts and geldings.’
- ‘Interestingly, arginine-induced insulin release occurred more consistently in mares than in geldings and stallions.’
- ‘Of these, 33 were geldings, 1 was a stallion and the remainder were mares or fillies.’
- ‘Although ranch-broke geldings are the highlight of the sale, we also offer yearlings, weanlings and a select number of started two year olds.’
- ‘A larger space is needed between stallions and other pastures used by geldings and other horses.’
- ‘They comprised geldings and nags, sumpter horses, teams for coaches, the close carr, the litter and three carts, as well as some hired post horses.’
- ‘After all the mares and geldings were fixed, they headed to the show.’
- ‘This class is for mares or geldings, four years old and over, exceeding 158 cm.’
- ‘His horse was one of the geldings he had noticed during his previous inspection of the barn.’
- ‘But all thoroughbred geldings are signifiers.’
Late Middle English: from Old Norse geldingr, from geldr barren.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.