One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device used to engage or disengage gears in a transmission or similar mechanism.
- ‘For the driver there is a new three-spoked leather-trimmed gear lever, and the gearshift has been given the leather look, too.’
- ‘He works the gearshift, trying to coax it into reverse.’
- ‘It has added an aluminium gearshift, handbrake handle and pedal pads, three-spoke steering wheel with paddle shift, and floor mats.’
- ‘Since the F1 world championship began in 1950, the introduction of disc brakes and the gearshift mounted on the steering wheel on some exotic sports cars are about the only two technology transfers from F1 to road cars.’
- ‘As usual, I pulled the van in front of the aircraft, shifted the gearshift to park, engaged the parking brake, grabbed my tools, and exited the van.’
- ‘In front of the center-mounted gearshift are three optional circular gauges showing voltage, transmission temperature and hourly fuel consumption.’
- ‘The ship's driver, who sat in the back at the controls, muttered a barely audible ‘engage’ before shifting the rocket gearshift to the on position.’
- ‘With the gear lever in the sport mode, which locks out fifth gear and changes the gearshift pattern, even more rapid responses can be expected.’
- ‘During a high-speed chase on a flat surface, it is imperative to work that gearshift hard and often - even with an automatic transmission.’
- ‘My usual driving posture included one arm stretched almost lazily out to the wheel, the other resting on the gearshift.’
- ‘Most automatic transmission cars will have an overdrive button right on the gearshift.’
- ‘Inside, the car is equipped with leather sports seats with seat heating, a three-spoke, leather-trimmed sports steering wheel with steering-wheel gearshift, air conditioning, a clock and rev counter.’
- ‘Then he leaned over the gearshift and kissed me.’
- ‘The technology, which eliminates mechanical control connections, including the steering column, gearshift and pedals, provides greater flexibility of seating positions.’
- ‘He slammed on the brakes and dropped the gearshift into reverse.’
- ‘His hands tightened on the steering wheel and gearshift as he waited for the drop of the hand.’
- ‘The seats, steering wheel and gearshift are wrapped in leather and the instrument cluster is illuminated in purple.’
- ‘He/she can ‘play’ with the gearshift or release the parking brake.’
- ‘The team also finalized a system which enables them to switch to a manual gearshift in the event of a loss of semi-automatic transmission.’
- ‘For the car to start, you must place your foot on the clutch and, naturally, have your hand brake engaged and the gearshift in neutral.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.