One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A set of gears with its casing, especially in a motor vehicle; the transmission.
- ‘This engine is offered with a choice of five-speed manual or four-speed automatic gearboxes.’
- ‘The engine plant also produces the gearbox and highly complicated gearing components.’
- ‘I prefer manual gearboxes, and this five-speeder is well matched to the 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine's characteristics.’
- ‘Effectively the gearbox engages the next highest gear but does not activate it until the optimum point has been reached.’
- ‘Discrete buttons mounted behind the wheel give you fingertip control over the gearbox.’
- ‘The final option for powering boats is the simple single or twin-engined installation of standard petrol or diesel engines with gearboxes and shafts.’
- ‘Effectively it's two manual gearboxes put together, one providing ‘odd’ gears and the other providing ‘even’ gears.’
- ‘Gears and gearboxes are significantly different on road-course cars.’
- ‘Automobile majors are increasingly using India as a sourcing base for critical components such as engines, transmissions and gearboxes.’
- ‘We checked the massive engine room and filmed the now rusty gears on the open gearbox.’
- ‘His proposals include fitting cars with smaller engines and banning power steering and automatic gearboxes.’
- ‘The gearbox has a squidgy consistency that makes gear shifts feel like stirring congealed rice pudding.’
- ‘These are available with either five or six-speed manual gearboxes with an optional six-speed tiptronic automatic transmission.’
- ‘Head gaskets, clutch cables, gearboxes and stuck handbrakes feature most commonly on the tired and dying list.’
- ‘Just put the six speed manual gearbox in sixth gear, and it becomes almost a relaxing grand tourer.’
- ‘So does the double-clutch gearbox, which moves straight from one gear to the next with no pause and no snatch.’
- ‘They will say for certain that the new gearbox has exactly six forward gears, which is one more than on previous models.’
- ‘The UK however will get a five-speed manual gearbox for the lower horsepower model.’
- ‘The manual gearbox has a tendency to be notchy and the auto gearbox doesn't change particularly smoothly.’
- ‘The slick gearbox and torquey engine make low speed driving a breeze too.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.