One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A set of gears with its casing, especially in a motor vehicle; the transmission.
- ‘Just put the six speed manual gearbox in sixth gear, and it becomes almost a relaxing grand tourer.’
- ‘Effectively it's two manual gearboxes put together, one providing ‘odd’ gears and the other providing ‘even’ gears.’
- ‘The gearbox has a squidgy consistency that makes gear shifts feel like stirring congealed rice pudding.’
- ‘So does the double-clutch gearbox, which moves straight from one gear to the next with no pause and no snatch.’
- ‘Gears and gearboxes are significantly different on road-course cars.’
- ‘They will say for certain that the new gearbox has exactly six forward gears, which is one more than on previous models.’
- ‘I prefer manual gearboxes, and this five-speeder is well matched to the 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine's characteristics.’
- ‘His proposals include fitting cars with smaller engines and banning power steering and automatic gearboxes.’
- ‘The engine plant also produces the gearbox and highly complicated gearing components.’
- ‘The final option for powering boats is the simple single or twin-engined installation of standard petrol or diesel engines with gearboxes and shafts.’
- ‘These are available with either five or six-speed manual gearboxes with an optional six-speed tiptronic automatic transmission.’
- ‘Automobile majors are increasingly using India as a sourcing base for critical components such as engines, transmissions and gearboxes.’
- ‘The UK however will get a five-speed manual gearbox for the lower horsepower model.’
- ‘We checked the massive engine room and filmed the now rusty gears on the open gearbox.’
- ‘Discrete buttons mounted behind the wheel give you fingertip control over the gearbox.’
- ‘The manual gearbox has a tendency to be notchy and the auto gearbox doesn't change particularly smoothly.’
- ‘The slick gearbox and torquey engine make low speed driving a breeze too.’
- ‘This engine is offered with a choice of five-speed manual or four-speed automatic gearboxes.’
- ‘Effectively the gearbox engages the next highest gear but does not activate it until the optimum point has been reached.’
- ‘Head gaskets, clutch cables, gearboxes and stuck handbrakes feature most commonly on the tired and dying list.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.