One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for normal distribution
- ‘In a random matrix, the rows and columns are filled with numbers randomly selected from a normal, or Gaussian, distribution.’
- ‘In order to solve concrete problems Aleksandrov had to replace the Gaussian geometry of regular surfaces by a much more general theory.’
- ‘The intensity, width, and center of the diffraction peaks were obtained from a fit with a Gaussian bell curve.’
- ‘However, the error bound is based on the assumption that the errors are distributed according to a normal or Gaussian probability distribution.’
- ‘The distance and angle frequency distributions were not Gaussian and were calculated on the basis of entities of different sizes.’
Early 20th century: named after Karl Gauss (see Gauss, Karl Friedrich), who described it.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.