One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Gaudy articles or decoration, especially clothing or jewelry.
- ‘However, I will not stay quiet when a preacher gets on his soapbox and tries to persuade us to buy what clearly amounts to simple gaudery.’
- ‘It is ironically fitting that he should successfully lure her with promises of enjoying the glitter and gaudery of Naples.’
- ‘Yes, I suppose those hats are gaudery, but they do look awful fun.’
- ‘I embellished the tale with a baroque gaudery of exaggerated facts and fantastic detail.’
- ‘Choosing what to buy in a climate where diamonds are bedecking everything from ladies’ décolletage to outsized gaudery, while changing colors and cuts at will, can be daunting, though.’
2Tasteless or extravagant display of gaudy articles or decoration.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.