Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Gaudy articles or decoration, especially clothing or jewelry.
- ‘Choosing what to buy in a climate where diamonds are bedecking everything from ladies’ décolletage to outsized gaudery, while changing colors and cuts at will, can be daunting, though.’
- ‘It is ironically fitting that he should successfully lure her with promises of enjoying the glitter and gaudery of Naples.’
- ‘Yes, I suppose those hats are gaudery, but they do look awful fun.’
- ‘However, I will not stay quiet when a preacher gets on his soapbox and tries to persuade us to buy what clearly amounts to simple gaudery.’
- ‘I embellished the tale with a baroque gaudery of exaggerated facts and fantastic detail.’
2Tasteless or extravagant display of gaudy articles or decoration.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.