Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An assembly or meeting, especially a social or festive one or one held for a specific purpose.‘a family gathering’
assembly, meeting, meet, convention, rally, turnout, congress, convocation, conclave, council, synod, symposium, forum, muster, tweetupView synonyms
- ‘Denise was delighted to inform the assembled gathering that no less than four talented women from the community were set to entertain and inform.’
- ‘Accordingly, a gathering assembled to carry out Sam's wishes.’
- ‘The exact purpose of the gathering is a surprise to the guests, who are honored with testimonials of gratitude from their hosts.’
- ‘The gathering was assembled to pay their respects and lay wreathes on all the graves.’
- ‘Before beginning his journey, he enthralled the sizable gathering, which had assembled at the starting point, with his magic.’
- ‘Thank you for that magnificent speech yesterday, and it is my pleasure to ask you to address the assembled gathering.’
- ‘He said he expected the gathering could become a meeting of various thoughts and ideas that were alive in society.’
- ‘The holidays bring parties and family gatherings when everyone wants to appear their best.’
- ‘The purpose of the gathering is to give tourism outlets a chance to share their knowledge with their colleagues of the fantastic range of tourism products and activities available in the County.’
- ‘The Monday scheduled for the subsequent meeting attracted a satisfactory gathering of graduates and friends.’
- ‘We are a gathering with massively more purpose than significance.’
- ‘At least, it offered a jolly background for the family gathering.’
- ‘We build this country one person at a time, she told the assembled gathering at the college.’
- ‘The auditorium will serve as a meeting place for public gatherings and academic conferences.’
- ‘Difficult meetings, family gatherings and so on can be chances to use your new skills.’
- ‘Rather than a peaceful gathering, the assembly descended into an auditorium-wide field of skirmishes that ended in 11 suspensions and two arrests.’
- ‘I mean this is something for the people to think about and the purpose of a gathering like this is for me, through this forum, to talk directly to the people of Australia.’
- ‘At first the pictures appear to have been taken at a family gathering - a christening or a birthday party.’
- ‘Other protestors arrived on foot, or by bike, and some kept busy by taking photographs of the assembled gathering.’
- ‘The meeting was the first gathering of leaders of the two groups before the elections.’
2A set of printed signatures of a book, gathered for binding.
- ‘Of course, it is not possible to have eleven leaves in one gathering of a quarto book.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.