A valve with a sliding part that controls the extent of the aperture.
- ‘After the seacock or gate valve is closed, remove the hose temporarily so that it drains and then use an absorbent cloth or turkey baster to eliminate any residual water in the nipple.’
- ‘The unit suits both lever and gate valve which covers all combinations available.’
- ‘The gate valve attaches to the other end of the pipe.’
- ‘Check seacocks or gate valves, which must be installed at through-hulls below the waterline, to make sure they are closed and the hoses are clamped tightly.’
- ‘Plumbed into the down hose with a gate valve in-line, it's adjusted so it can only lower the load slowly.’
gate valve/ˈɡāt ˈˌvalv/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.