One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An opening into the stomach from the abdominal wall, made surgically for the introduction of food.
- ‘No gastrostomy or transanastomotic tube placement is required.’
- ‘The data from the current study suggest that the benefits of gastrostomy feeding significantly outweigh the burdens.’
- ‘Scissors are used to make 2 slits in the tape to pull through the gastrostomy tube.’
- ‘A clear catheter entered the stomach at the gastrostomy site and had passed the pylorus into the duodenum.’
- ‘After three weeks, I was still unable to swallow, so a gastrostomy was placed.’
- ‘"The ' two factors' are clearly the immobility and gastrostomy feeding.’
- ‘The length of time that caregivers considered gastrostomy placement for their child varied.’
- ‘My father, who spoke in occasional incoherent utterances, and was fed through a gastrostomy tube, was intubated and placed on a mechanical respirator a half a dozen times before he passed away.’
- ‘In recent years, percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy has become the intervention of choice when oral food intake becomes unsafe or inadequate.’
- ‘The family didn't want a gastrostomy tube placed, but they weren't ready to say goodbye, either.’
- ‘The only acute illnesses not detected were acute gastroenteritis, gastrostomy infection and seizure.’
- ‘A gastrostomy tube can clearly improve nutritional status in a debilitated person with severe dysphagia, and may prolong life.’
- ‘Because of oropharyngeal dysphagia, a gastrostomy tube had been placed several years ago.’
- ‘A gastrostomy tube is a feeding tube that goes in the stomach.’
- ‘The physician inserted a gastrostomy tube into the stomach to provide additional nutritional support, which may help to spontaneously close the fistula.’
- ‘Great care is needed to ensure that attachments are secure at all times when gastrostomy feeding is carried out overnight.’
- ‘Ethical and quality of life issues should be considered before gastrostomy feeding is implemented.’
- ‘Do percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy tubes improve outcomes in stroke patients who have dysphagia?’
- ‘Patients who are unable to swallow will die if not given food and fluids by other means, but with a gastrostomy tube they may live for years.’
- ‘One night the junction between his gastrostomy tube and the feeding tube became disconnected.’
- 1.1 A surgical operation for making an opening in the stomach.
- ‘Six caregivers reported that pain was a problem for their child before gastrostomy, and half of these caregivers indicated less pain since the gastrostomy.’
- ‘We left the decision about the gastrostomy alone while my husband was still febrile and talked about how to get sustaining food into him to prevent hunger.’
- ‘In order to determine the impact of gastrostomies in 20 children with neurodevelopmental disability, a questionnaire was used to collect caregivers' perceptions both before and after gastrostomy.’
- ‘A multidisciplinary team and other caregivers experienced with gastrostomies are excellent resources for caregivers contemplating the procedure.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.