Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in the surgical treatment of obesity) a silicone device placed around the upper section of the stomach, creating a small pouch above the band and thereby restricting the amount of food that can be comfortably eaten.‘she had a gastric band fitted to help her lose weight’[as modifier] ‘a gastric band operation’
- ‘And then there are others who, after undergoing gastric band surgery, have simply transferred their addiction to food to other substances, such as alcohol.’
- ‘The adjustable gastric band is a useful technique to reduce the intake of food by an individual.’
- ‘He has been nicknamed the "fat doctor" because of the thousands of gastric bypasses and gastric band operations he has performed.’
- ‘The gastric band, which is adjustable and reversible if medically indicated, is placed laparoscopically and does not alter the normal anatomy.’
- ‘Well, it turns out that her weight loss was due to secret gastric band surgery.’
- ‘She has revealed that she once asked a doctor to give her a gastric band to help her lose weight.’
- ‘He was on a waiting list for a gastric band last year, but a heart condition made the operation unsuitable.’
- ‘Fern Britton, presenter of This Morning on ITV, dropped from a size 22 to a size 16 after having gastric band surgery’
- ‘The ability to place a gastric band laparoscopically decreases the invasiveness of the procedure, resulting in fewer postoperative complications, shorter hospitalization, and quicker recovery time for patients.’
- ‘A woman lost almost 4 st in weight after she was hypnotised into believing she had had a gastric band fitted.’
- ‘Individuals with chronic weight problems will be offered operations like gastric band surgery in a bid to halt the obesity epidemic in the town.’
- ‘In extreme cases people could be offered slimming drugs or operations to help them lose weight such as gastric-band surgery, the BFS said.’
- ‘"People reach a certain size and there is no other option but to have surgery and unlike, plastic surgery, a gastric band can give significant health benefits," he said.’
- ‘Gastric band surgery should be available on the NHS - but only as a last resort’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.