Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Surgical removal of a part or the whole of the stomach.
- ‘Inadequate absorption of vitamin B12 occurs in 10 to 30 percent of patients who have had a partial gastrectomy.’
- ‘The patient's symptoms continued, and approximately 1 month later, a therapeutic gastrectomy was performed.’
- ‘One week later, he had a new onset of gastrointestinal bleeding and underwent a near-total gastrectomy and cholecystectomy.’
- ‘This is called a partial gastrectomy, as part of the stomach has to be removed as well.’
- ‘Distribution of surgery was partial gastrectomy, total gastrectomy, and pancreatic resection.’
- ‘Surgical procedures such as wide local excision, partial gastrectomy, total gastrectomy, or gastrointestinal bypass also are performed with palliative intent, to allow oral intake of food and alleviate pain.’
- ‘These factors include hypogonadism, alcoholism, chronic steroid use, previous gastrectomy, chronic lung disease, pernicious anemia and disorders of movement and balance that increase the risk of immobility.’
- ‘Treatment is a total gastrectomy and removal of the islet tumor.’
- ‘Subsequently, she underwent surgery, which included partial gastrectomy, thymectomy, and splenectomy.’
- ‘Partial or total gastrectomy was performed in all patients, except in patient 6, who underwent removal of a submucosal nodule covered by apparently normal mucosa.’
- ‘In the case we described, the patient was asymptomatic and with unknown HIV status until he presented with an acute abdomen due to phlegmonous gastritis diagnosed after partial gastrectomy.’
- ‘A total gastrectomy was performed and was submitted to pathologic examination.’
- ‘For distal-third gastric cancer, patients may be able to undergo subtotal gastrectomy if biopsy reveals ‘intestinal-type’ adenocarcinoma.’
- ‘Surprisingly, one study 20 showed that even in patients who had undergone gastrectomy, vitamin [B.sub.12] deficiency could be easily reversed with oral supplementation.’
- ‘Examination of the gastrectomy specimen revealed an indurated tumor with central ulceration located in the fundus.’
- ‘He applied the principles of partial gastrectomy to women who were obese and found that they lost weight.’
- ‘I know this because I found this here helpful page on gastrectomy.’
- ‘Subsequently, the patient underwent emergency laparotomy with partial gastrectomy.’
- ‘A gastrectomy with lymph node adenectomy was performed.’
- ‘At our institution, radical proximal gastrectomy, splenectomy, partial pancreatectomy, left adrenalectomy, and retroperitoneal lymph node dissection were performed.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.