One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person with temporary permission to work in another country, especially in Germany.
emigrant, non-native, émigré, migrant, economic migrant, guest workerView synonyms
- ‘Are we going to follow the now partly discarded German model of Gastarbeiter, or guest workers, or are we going to follow the Australian and partly Swedish model of multiculturalism?’
- ‘Numerous others took the traditional emigrant's path to Britain while others worked as Gastarbeiter on the Continent.’
- ‘In West Germany the Gastarbeiter who arrived in the 1960s and 1970s came largely from Germany's historic ally, Turkey.’
- ‘Another boost to the population of West Germany has been provided by the so-called Gastarbeiter (migrant or immigrant workers), mostly from Turkey, the Balkans, Italy, and Portugal.’
- ‘The first Gastarbeiter arrived in Germany in the 1950s, and the largest influx of Algerian-born immigrants came to France in 1956-1957.’
German, from Gast ‘guest’ + Arbeiter ‘worker’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.