One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Convert (a solid or liquid, especially coal) into gas.‘5 million tons of coal have been gasified’
- ‘Coal, too, could be made carbon-free, using advanced power plants that gasify the fuel and then generate power while stripping away the carbon for sequestration underground.’
- ‘Waste is fed into the primary chamber of the converter where the material is gasified by heat recovered from the gases exiting the refining chamber.’
- ‘Mining coal, gasifying it, then using the Fischer-Tropsch process to produce the hydrocarbon molecules needed for petrol and Sasol's other products inevitably costs more than pumping crude oil.’
- ‘Global Energy, which specializes in gasification plants, is preparing to build a plant in Kentucky that gasifies a mixture of coal and municipal solid waste.’
- ‘The hot char is gasified in an air blown gasifier to produce a fuel gas and a molten slag which are jointly directed out of the gasifier through a common port which is maintained open for the free flow of both.’
- 1.1no object Become a gas.‘if PVC is overheated it will gasify’
- ‘From the video clip, the viewer will be able to see the coal beginning to gasify 30 seconds into the. experiment.’
- ‘But when heated to body temperature in a patient's bloodstream, the toxicologists theorized, it gasified, causing a fatal pulmonary embolism.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.