Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A gas-burning appliance consisting of a gas burner made to resemble a log, used in a fireplace to simulate the effect of a burning log.
- ‘Changes in the safety requirements for fireplace dampers were enacted in 1991, but current standards apply only to newly installed gas log fireplaces.’
- ‘This caution is also extended to new wood burners and consumers interested in removing gas log sets from fireplaces.’
- ‘The gas logs blazed as I lounged in my recliner and watched television with the beeper on the table.’
- ‘Gas inserts consist of a gas log set installed into a steel or cast iron heat exchanger and are usually sealed on the front with glass.’
- ‘Some gas log fireplaces are actually wood burning fireplaces with gas logs installed.’
- ‘Even if a fireplace burns gas logs rather than wood, its bricks still need to be cleaned, Paige says.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.