Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An airtight room that can be filled with poisonous gas as a means of execution.
- ‘Using a drawing, he reportedly describes a gas chamber and the victims he says he saw at the prison in the northeast of North Korea, near the Russian border.’
- ‘They're putting them in gas chambers and suffocating them.’
- ‘During that time, thousands more had perished in the gas chambers.’
- ‘The camps were the transit camps used before people were taken to the concentration camps with gas chambers.’
- ‘I wondered if he thought he was going to die, or be herded onto the boxcars to die later in the gas chambers, or if he knew he would persevere.’
- ‘She'll be taken to the gas chambers and killed there.’
- ‘After a few months of work, they received the same fate in the gas chamber or were killed by firing squads.’
- ‘The presence and use of gas chambers are matters best left to real evidence.’
- ‘This is best done by storing in an inert gas chamber or in a vacuum chamber.’
- ‘There was a gas chamber and furnace room in one barracks.’
- ‘But, without his intervention, so many more would have died with their parents in the gas chambers.’
- ‘So far, no one has clarified how these false gas chambers worked, and what proof there is of their existence.’
- ‘His father had been killed in the gas chambers and he had no one else.’
- ‘For a year they housed a refugee whose whole family died in gas chambers.’
- ‘They gave us an insight into the kinds of minds that created the gas chambers.’
- ‘He is introduced into the camp scene after having miraculously survived the horror of a gas chamber killing in which all others perished.’
- ‘This is where they killed countless thousands in gas chambers.’
- ‘Secular humanism leads to the gas chambers simply because it does not recognise our capacity for self deception and evil.’
- ‘He has said in the past that the gas chambers were just a detail of history.’
- ‘Beyond those incapable of work and selected for the gas chambers, it had a huge prison population mainly engaged in slave labour.’
gas chamber/ˈɡas ˈˌCHāmbər/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.