One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a car) having a high fuel consumption.‘gas-guzzling SUVs’
- ‘The hybrid bus gets 8 to 10 miles per gallon, which might not sound great, but that's actually nearly double that of standard gas-guzzling buses.’
- ‘Plastic bottles are made from oil products transported by gas-guzzling trucks.’
- ‘They checked to see what it would take to replace the old gas-guzzling yellow cabs, which get around 10 miles a gallon.’
- ‘They use newer, more fuel-efficient turbofan engines to slash the operating costs of the current generation of gas-guzzling private planes.’
- ‘He docks his vintage, gas-guzzling cruiser at the yacht club and doesn't like the noise of the occasional plane invading his personal space.’
- ‘He rides in the back of his own gas-guzzling armored limo.’
- ‘Gas-guzzling four-wheel-drive cars could be charged a double congestion charge.’
- ‘From an economic point of view, a reduction in gas-guzzling cars is the smart thing to do.’
- ‘There's nothing "hot" or "sexy" about driving a gas-guzzling vehicle.’
- ‘An energy expert fumed about all that gas-guzzling stop-and-go driving during the chase scenes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.