Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Using a combustible gas as its fuel.‘gas-fired central heating’
- ‘Throughout, National Grid has stuck to its position that the new line was needed to ensure security of supply when new gas-fired power stations came on stream.’
- ‘Athy Town Council tenants can look forward to having gas-fired central heating systems installed in their homes within the next few years.’
- ‘The development of wind farms will be encouraged and two gas-fired electricity generation plants are to be commissioned this year.’
- ‘The gas-fired power station is currently under construction at the cost of €500m and will be in operation late next year.’
- ‘Despite the longer period of time needed to construct gas-fired plants, PLN is determined to employ gas as a major source of energy in the future.’
- ‘The most inefficient gadgets are gas-fired heaters which can use up the equivalent energy of 140 lightbulbs burning simultaneously.’
- ‘The properties have gas-fired central heating with a normal gas boiler, radiator and thermostat system.’
- ‘Otherwise, the hardest choice aboard a stationery houseboat is what next to throw on the gas-fired barbie for breakfast, lunch or dinner and what to drink with it.’
- ‘It is estimated that the gas-fired plant will reduce the amount of carbon emissions into the atmosphere in Southampton by 85,000 tonnes a year.’
- ‘All the emergency lights were gas-fired and my mother used to sometimes give me a penny for some sweets.’
- ‘The strength of the pound and the ‘dash for gas’ - the promotion of gas-fired power stations - have hit the industry hard.’
- ‘Out of 213 units, 34 are gas-fired power plants, which account for 24 percent of the total power capacity.’
- ‘While the operating costs of coal- and gas-fired power plants are cheaper than diesel, the former are much more costly to construct.’
- ‘But it could also accelerate a switch to cleaner gas-fired generation.’
- ‘The presence of the gas pipeline would allow for the construction of a small gas-fired Generating Station to replace Bellacorick peat station.’
- ‘The work to replace ageing solid fuel central heating with gas-fired systems will cost £1m.’
- ‘It has gas-fired central heating and uPVC windows.’
- ‘The station will be gas-fired from an offshore field and will be the first combined-cycle power station in southern Africa.’
- ‘Heating in all houses is gas-fired, and allowances for kitchen, tiling, feature fireplaces, and sanitary ware is included.’
- ‘If the tests are successful it sees the eventual commercial use of petcoke as a way of cutting the plant's costs to help it compete with cheaper gas-fired power stations.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.