One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Knitting in which all of the rows are knitted in knit (plain) stitch, rather than alternating with purl rows.
- ‘This Mohair Mystery was knit in garter stitch on size 17 needles with a decorative drop-stitch edge pattern.’
- ‘It is the first time I knit sleeves (remember, I'm the queen of the sleeveless top) and I think they turned out a tiny bit too long, but no worries, since they're done on garter stitch I can just turn the cuff around.’
- ‘I'm thinking that my square will be a simple garter stitch with the word ‘love’ in stockinette.’
- ‘What I really like is the garter stitch edging for the button band.’
- ‘If you don't know how to knit yourself, you can learn the garter stitch and be well on your way to knitting your first scarf in less than an hour.’
- ‘The garter stitch will prevent the edge from rolling.’
- ‘Increasing every 6th and 4th row makes a lot of sense and here's why: The sleeve stitch pattern is a 10 row pattern, comprising of 2 rows to form garter stitch, 1 row to form the eyelets, 3 rows garter stitch and 4 rows stocking stitch.’
- ‘We had a magical afternoon together and spent the rest of that summer mastering the garter stitch.’
garter stitch/ˈɡärdər stiCH/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.