One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Knitting in which all of the rows are knitted in knit (plain) stitch, rather than alternating with purl rows.
- ‘Increasing every 6th and 4th row makes a lot of sense and here's why: The sleeve stitch pattern is a 10 row pattern, comprising of 2 rows to form garter stitch, 1 row to form the eyelets, 3 rows garter stitch and 4 rows stocking stitch.’
- ‘I'm thinking that my square will be a simple garter stitch with the word ‘love’ in stockinette.’
- ‘We had a magical afternoon together and spent the rest of that summer mastering the garter stitch.’
- ‘What I really like is the garter stitch edging for the button band.’
- ‘The garter stitch will prevent the edge from rolling.’
- ‘This Mohair Mystery was knit in garter stitch on size 17 needles with a decorative drop-stitch edge pattern.’
- ‘It is the first time I knit sleeves (remember, I'm the queen of the sleeveless top) and I think they turned out a tiny bit too long, but no worries, since they're done on garter stitch I can just turn the cuff around.’
- ‘If you don't know how to knit yourself, you can learn the garter stitch and be well on your way to knitting your first scarf in less than an hour.’
garter stitch/ˈɡärdər stiCH/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.