One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for garfish
- ‘Once, she said, as she stood in shallow water in her high-necked, skirted, black bathing suit, a long-nosed garpike swam across her toes and startled her.’
- ‘For both the organochlorine pesticides and PCBs, the concentrations were higher in the homogenates of migrating pelagic partly open-sea species (herring, sprat, garpike) than in the homogenates of less migrating coastal species (smelt, pike, perch).’
- ‘The alligator garpike cannot really be recommended as an aquarium fish because of its size.’
- ‘Several species of garpike occur in marine waters, but these tend to be the giant species, and the small spotted garpike is normally only found in either fresh or slightly brackish water.’
- ‘A few freshwater fishes may occur in the least saline parts of the estuary (for example garpike, ropefishes and cichlids).’
Late 18th century: from gar + pike.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.