One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A decoration or embellishment.
A court order directing that money or property of a third party (usually wages paid by an employer) be seized to satisfy a debt owed by a debtor to a plaintiff creditor.
- ‘All garnishment and enforcement proceedings undertaken in accordance with the enforcement of the order of January 18th, 2002, shall forthwith be rescinded and cancelled.’
- ‘In September the plaintiff attempted garnishment on what he thought was the defendant's banker.’
- ‘Wage garnishment is a creditor collection tool that a delinquent debtor can escape by filing for bankruptcy.’
- ‘When the bank learned of the plaintiffs' action against these defendants, it issued garnishments against each of the three defendants in June 2003.’
- ‘By the time the motion was heard, the arrears of about $2, 000.00 had been paid as a result of a garnishment of his income tax refund.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.