Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A decoration or embellishment.
A court order directing that money or property of a third party (usually wages paid by an employer) be seized to satisfy a debt owed by a debtor to a plaintiff creditor.
- ‘By the time the motion was heard, the arrears of about $2, 000.00 had been paid as a result of a garnishment of his income tax refund.’
- ‘All garnishment and enforcement proceedings undertaken in accordance with the enforcement of the order of January 18th, 2002, shall forthwith be rescinded and cancelled.’
- ‘Wage garnishment is a creditor collection tool that a delinquent debtor can escape by filing for bankruptcy.’
- ‘In September the plaintiff attempted garnishment on what he thought was the defendant's banker.’
- ‘When the bank learned of the plaintiffs' action against these defendants, it issued garnishments against each of the three defendants in June 2003.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.