One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tree or shrub of the bedstraw family, with large fragrant white or yellow flowers. Native to warm climates, it is widely cultivated.
Genus Gardenia, family Rubiaceae: several species, in particular the Cape jasmine
- ‘Violet-blue primroses and gardenias skirt a fountain in a smaller circular garden near the front door.’
- ‘Trees with white gardenias were planted as decoration in some areas to give the courtyard a more appealing atmosphere, rather than all of it being just stone and rock.’
- ‘In summer and autumn gardenias, hibiscus, hydrangeas and ixoras are versatile enough to cope with both sun and shade.’
- ‘Fill some of the containers in your entry with scented bedding plants like dianthus or stock, aromatic evergreens like rosemary and lavender, or fragrant shrubs like gardenia.’
- ‘Much easier to grow than a gardenia, its fragrance is gentle and increases at night.’
- ‘Fall is an ideal time to plant gardenias and other shrubs.’
- ‘If you think about it, orchids, gardenias, heliconias, Birds of Paradise, and plumerias are all lovely additions to gardens in tropical areas.’
- ‘If foliage of azaleas, camellias, citrus, gardenias, and others is yellowish with green veins, the plants need iron.’
- ‘Without regard to the season, flowers bloom year long, with excellent varieties of roses, bird of paradise, geraniums, azaleas, camellias, and gardenias.’
- ‘Experts say coffee grounds help acidify the soil and can be beneficial in beds with plants such as azaleas and gardenias.’
- ‘If foliage on azaleas, camellias, citrus, and gardenias is yellowish with green veins, the plants need iron.’
- ‘The dining room table where books were stacked for sale was decorated with crystal bowls of fragrant gardenias.’
- ‘They prefer a slightly acidic environment so make ideal companion plants for azaleas, camellias and gardenias.’
- ‘Ornamental specimens such as cordylines, duranta, gardenias, grevilleas, hibiscus, ixora and oleander should be gently contained within reasonable bounds during their flowering periods, and given a harder prune later in the season.’
- ‘Consider a blooming bonsai, bougainvillea, daylily, or gardenia, or a citrus tree such as ‘Clementine’ tangerine, ‘Improved Meyer’ lemon, or kumquat.’
- ‘You also might consider a gardenia, white-flowering duranta, white datura (can trigger allergy) and ‘Ducher,’ an antique white rose, for sun.’
- ‘To avoid infestations, shipments of fragrant, creamy-white gardenias from Hawaii to the U.S. mainland have been banned since 1948.’
- ‘Yellowing, twisted foliage with tiny webs appears on susceptible species including gardenias, scheffleras, ivy, and roses.’
- ‘Use it on all but gardenias, azaleas, camellias and Australian natives.’
- ‘The frangipani, gardenias and jasmine will all be in flower for Christmas.’
Modern Latin, named in honor of Dr Alexander Garden (1730–91), Scottish naturalist.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.