Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tree or shrub of the bedstraw family, with large fragrant white or yellow flowers. Native to warm climates, it is widely cultivated.
- ‘You also might consider a gardenia, white-flowering duranta, white datura (can trigger allergy) and ‘Ducher,’ an antique white rose, for sun.’
- ‘If foliage on azaleas, camellias, citrus, and gardenias is yellowish with green veins, the plants need iron.’
- ‘Fill some of the containers in your entry with scented bedding plants like dianthus or stock, aromatic evergreens like rosemary and lavender, or fragrant shrubs like gardenia.’
- ‘In summer and autumn gardenias, hibiscus, hydrangeas and ixoras are versatile enough to cope with both sun and shade.’
- ‘If you think about it, orchids, gardenias, heliconias, Birds of Paradise, and plumerias are all lovely additions to gardens in tropical areas.’
- ‘Experts say coffee grounds help acidify the soil and can be beneficial in beds with plants such as azaleas and gardenias.’
- ‘Ornamental specimens such as cordylines, duranta, gardenias, grevilleas, hibiscus, ixora and oleander should be gently contained within reasonable bounds during their flowering periods, and given a harder prune later in the season.’
- ‘Use it on all but gardenias, azaleas, camellias and Australian natives.’
- ‘Violet-blue primroses and gardenias skirt a fountain in a smaller circular garden near the front door.’
- ‘To avoid infestations, shipments of fragrant, creamy-white gardenias from Hawaii to the U.S. mainland have been banned since 1948.’
- ‘Fall is an ideal time to plant gardenias and other shrubs.’
- ‘Without regard to the season, flowers bloom year long, with excellent varieties of roses, bird of paradise, geraniums, azaleas, camellias, and gardenias.’
- ‘The dining room table where books were stacked for sale was decorated with crystal bowls of fragrant gardenias.’
- ‘Trees with white gardenias were planted as decoration in some areas to give the courtyard a more appealing atmosphere, rather than all of it being just stone and rock.’
- ‘Much easier to grow than a gardenia, its fragrance is gentle and increases at night.’
- ‘The frangipani, gardenias and jasmine will all be in flower for Christmas.’
- ‘They prefer a slightly acidic environment so make ideal companion plants for azaleas, camellias and gardenias.’
- ‘Yellowing, twisted foliage with tiny webs appears on susceptible species including gardenias, scheffleras, ivy, and roses.’
- ‘If foliage of azaleas, camellias, citrus, gardenias, and others is yellowish with green veins, the plants need iron.’
- ‘Consider a blooming bonsai, bougainvillea, daylily, or gardenia, or a citrus tree such as ‘Clementine’ tangerine, ‘Improved Meyer’ lemon, or kumquat.’
Modern Latin, named in honor of Dr. Alexander Garden (1730–91), Scottish naturalist.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.