One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A period, typically an academic year, taken by a student as a break between secondary school and higher education.
- ‘Laura was taking a gap year in her education after finishing a course at Sheffield College.’
- ‘In spite of these statistics, increasing numbers of students choose to take a gap year after graduating.’
- ‘The former Dauntsey's School girl, on a gap year before going to college, worked as a care assistant at Brendoncare.’
- ‘She was on a gap year before going to university to study teaching.’
- ‘Other American students who have not yet been accepted to college use a gap year specifically to build their resumes.’
- ‘Back then, she thought modelling might simply be funding a gap year before art college.’
- ‘Not for them two or three years at college with a gap year to chase kangaroos before going on to university.’
- ‘Students embarking on a gap year in the developing world are focusing on fun and failing to learn about the culture of new countries, it was claimed yesterday.’
- ‘However, missionary endeavour is much more than a gap year or two between university and a career.’
- ‘He was on a gap year before going to university and was working at a firm of solicitors in the centre of Bradford to save up for a trip to Tanzania in the summer.’
- ‘During her gap year she broke in the younger of the horses and completed all the initial training of the animal.’
- ‘Tara, 19, from north London, had a gap year before university.’
- ‘Recently I hosted an event for a charity which helps young British people to travel during their gap year and overseas students to study in the UK.’
- ‘When I came back I didn't find it at all shocking that none of my high school friends took a gap year, and very few of my now college friends had either.’
- ‘Peter, 19, who left Marlborough College in the summer, has a variety of work planned for his gap year before going to university.’
- ‘Lots of students now take a gap year and use it to travel or work abroad.’
- ‘Her son Chris, 19, was taken ill last weekend in the city of Jinja in South East Uganda, where he is working at a college during his gap year.’
- ‘Her gap year after university was spent working for the Glasgow Mission.’
- ‘He is taking a gap year between school and university, and is currently working as a spiked intern.’
- ‘Laura, a former student of Sheffield College, was taking a gap year, and Natalie had taken eight months off her shop job to travel with her.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.