Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The commercially valueless material in which ore is found.
- ‘Specifically, gangue formed by both metasomatic alteration and precipitation during ore formation can yield a wealth of information about the origins and physical conditions of the ore-forming fluids.’
- ‘It is associated with all ore minerals as well as most gangue minerals.’
- ‘Rhodonite is described in the technical literature as a widespread and locally abundant gangue mineral in many of Colorado's precious-metal vein deposits.’
- ‘Chlorite, predominantly magnesium chlorite, is the principal gangue, and its intimate association with the uraninite indicates that the two minerals formed together.’
- ‘Exceptionally well-crystallized zinc-bearing rhodonite was a locally abundant gangue mineral at Franklin and, to a lesser extent, Sterling Hill, Sussex County, New Jersey.’
- ‘The main gangue minerals are quartz and barite.’
- ‘The main gangue minerals that make up the vein are massive white calcite, quartz, and prehnite.’
- ‘A short drift and crosscut were driven off the back of the cavity in search of ore, but only low-grade mineralization consisting of chalcopyrite, galena, and sphalerite in a siliceous gangue was encountered.’
- ‘Here, too, the veins may be monomineralic, commonly quartz or calcite, but more usually are polymineralic with a mixture of metalliferous sulphide or oxide minerals and gangue minerals.’
- ‘Here the galena is massive, with 1-3 - mm-wide cleavage planes scattered across the quartz gangue surface of the specimen.’
- ‘They noted that in the Champion mine siderite is abundant, occurring as the chief gangue mineral of the sulfide ores in the dolomitic beds in the Sawatch Quartzite.’
- ‘Don't you think that in some cases these nuggets have got to be cleared of their gangue?’
- ‘The fluorite is typically a gangue mineral and is only locally recovered as an ore.’
- ‘It is a gangue mineral in ores from the Star, Hobo, and Princess mines at Central, Grant County.’
- ‘The main ore minerals are galena, chalcopyrite, sphalerite, and tetrahedrite that are associated with quartz and barite gangue.’
- ‘At that time, the museum acquired the Colorado State Collection, which has high historical value because it contains many ore and gangue specimens from now-closed and abandoned Colorado mines.’
- ‘The major ore and gangue minerals are given in the table, but only those of interest to collectors are discussed in detail below.’
- ‘Native copper and a host of gangue minerals were deposited in fissure veins, brecciated and fractured vesicular lava flow tops, and conglomerate beds during the same period of metal mineralization.’
- ‘Uraninite occurs with cobalt, nickel, arsenic, and silver minerals in a carbonate gangue at the Solitaria mine, Jaguel district, Argentina.’
- ‘Rhodonite is found as a gangue mineral in hydrothermal silver veins cutting volcanic rocks in the Pacocollo, Carangas, and Todos Santos areas, Bolivia.’
Early 19th century: from French, from German Gang ‘course, lode’; related to gang.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.