One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A public building where gambling games are played; a casino.
- ‘Alongside the long-hoped for £50m arena, a vast casino styled along the lines of the flagship gaming houses in US cities of Las Vegas and Atlantic City would complement the already burgeoning night-time economy.’
- ‘During Glassford's time the property enjoyed a racy reputation as a gaming house.’
- ‘It should make no difference if French is used occasionally at the casino tables since gaming houses thrive in a multitude of languages all over the world.’
- ‘Although patrons are not supposed to have any influence on the running of things, there are schemes that have an enormous amount of influence within a casino or a gaming house.’
- ‘Gaming - principally dice and cards - occurred both at court and in London gaming houses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.