Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in the life cycle of plants with alternating generations) the gamete-producing and usually haploid phase, producing the zygote from which the sporophyte arises. It is the dominant form in bryophytes.
- ‘Bryophytes are characterized by their dominant gametophytic plant body and their sporophytes epiphytic to gametophytes.’
- ‘Unlike vascular plants, the haploid gametophyte generation is dominant in mosses.’
- ‘Many algae are characterized by an alternation of haploid gametophyte and diploid sporophyte generations.’
- ‘The alternation between haploid gametophyte and diploid sporophyte phases, known as alternation of generations, occurs in all multi-cellular plants.’
- ‘The plant life cycle alternates between a diploid sporophyte and a haploid gametophyte generation.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.