Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who gambles.‘a compulsive gambler’
backer, staker, speculator, risk-taker, betterbettorplungerpunterhigh roller, pikerspieler, dasherView synonyms
- ‘The Tax Code also requires casinos to gather personal data on their gamblers for reports.’
- ‘Then there are the casino gamblers, who treat poker as an elaborate version of roulette.’
- ‘Some states limit the number of casinos they will accept as well as the amounts of money gamblers can bet.’
- ‘He was known to be a regular gambler at casinos and betting shops, went to the gym daily and won karate trophies.’
- ‘If you ever even thought of a life as a professional gambler, this book might change your mind.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.