Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A leg, especially in reference to the shapeliness of a woman's leg.
- ‘What better spokesperson for landmine awareness than a foxy mama with shapely gams?’
- ‘In Men with Arrows, a tousle-haired youngster ponders the cleavage and shapely gams of his young mom as she squats to pick up laundry; behind them hover images of an upscale tract home and a Mercury capsule parachuting into the sea.’
- ‘She sings and shows a lot of cleavage (well, as much as was allowed at the time) and a clinging black sequined gown accents her shapely gams.’
- ‘His gaze lowers and takes in her legs beneath the table, as gorgeous a set of gams as he's ever seen.’
Late 18th century: probably a variant of the heraldic term gamb, which denotes a charge representing an animal's leg, from Old Northern French gambe leg.
1rare A school of whales, porpoises, or dolphins.
- ‘Upon getting into a "gam" of whales, this boat, together with that of one of the mates, pulled for a single whale that was seen at a distance from the others, and succeeded in getting square up to their victim unperceived.’
2US dialect A social meeting or informal conversation (originally one among whalers at sea)
- ‘Crews normally visit each other during a gam, captains on one vessel and chief mates on the other.’
- ‘On the high seas, ships whose paths crossed held a gam, during which the men exchanged news, jokes, out-of-date periodicals, letters to be forwarded, and tales of the occasional bull sperm whale who head-butted his persecutors instead of dying quietly.’
Mid 19th century: origin uncertain; perhaps from dialect gam ‘game’ or shortened from gammon.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.