Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A waterproof overshoe, typically made of rubber.
gumboot, wellington, wader, walking boot, riding boot, field boot, jackboot, thigh boot, half-boot, ankle boot, pixie boot, chelsea boot, balmoral, desert boot, moon boot, snow bootView synonyms
- ‘In one humorous letter he provides elaborate mathematical equations to determine the best way to keep his galoshes from being pulled off his feet by the suction force of the thick mud in the streets.’
- ‘I know that's what I'd do if I had a pair of pink galoshes, but then I seem to have misplaced my responsible adult somewhere along the way so I would, wouldn't I?’
- ‘He remembers her as a non-stereotypical 1950s housewife, riding her white bicycle down the middle of the high street while smoking a Woodbine and wearing rubber, high-heeled glitter-flecked galoshes.’
- ‘We could tell when spring came because then he wore sandals, instead of galoshes, on his daily walk from the small, clapboard, green-shuttered house to the Institute.’
- ‘We pass plunky, unstable three-wheeled tractors, sand-matted camels, men in traditional long coats and boots with galoshes riding dusky, ballet-toed donkeys, and patient families with small, plastic bundles waiting for lifts.’
- ‘I wore a soft yellow skirt, a black lacy shirt, and a pair of light green rubber galoshes with daisies on them.’
- ‘New England Overshoe makes ‘performance over-shoes,’ which are galoshes with traction soles that fit over sneakers, sandals, wing tips, or other shoes for waterproof use on street and trail.’
- ‘If that's so, then Oulipo practitioners would make the game more interesting by demanding that Serena, Venus, and their challengers play while wearing boxing gloves and galoshes.’
- ‘Not your typical galoshes, the slick rubber booties have an adorable white heel and are less about puddle-splashing, more about stylish strolls in the mist.’
- ‘Stylish and comfortable, our galoshes are the ultimate in designer funky rubber boots for women, men and children.’
- ‘The sailors were yelling orders to one another and all were dressed in big, yellow raincoats along with rubber galoshes and black hats.’
- ‘By the time we finally got to the rock, there were 22 leeches resident in my boots, but none had penetrated the galoshes.’
- ‘Rubber boots or galoshes protect your feet but it is also important to protect your eyes and hands.’
- ‘The man, my dears, who wears galoshes and is careful about wrapping himself up well before venturing into the night air, not infrequently makes a good invalid husband that mostly stops at home, and is easily comforted with slops.’
- ‘Made between 1750 and 1830, pattens were worn over the shoes and served to raise the wearer's foot above the mud and dirt beneath, rather like prototypical galoshes.’
- ‘In the title story, a man loses a galosh on a tram and scales the mountains of Soviet bureaucracy to reclaim it, but misplaces his other galosh on the way.’
- ‘We wore galoshes as children and they were awful.’
- ‘We find petty traders and hawkers eking out a living by peddling a few ribbons, a pair of galoshes, or low-quality tobacco, and ordinary men and women, who resorted to selling their personal belongings at markets.’
- ‘The cauliflower picking occurred rain or shine - my father tells me about watching over my pregnant mom, in galoshes and a rain coat, bent over and picking cauliflower.’
- ‘Lightweight rubber boots and galoshes are manufactured using a process called slush molding.’
Middle English (denoting a type of clog): via Old French from late Latin gallicula, diminutive of Latin gallica (solea) Gallic (shoe) The current sense dates from the mid 19th century.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.