One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small, hard crystalline mass formed abnormally in the gallbladder or bile ducts from bile pigments, cholesterol, and calcium salts. Gallstones can cause severe pain and blockage of the bile duct.
- ‘The passage of a gallstone down the bile duct into the duodenum is very painful, and is known as biliary colic.’
- ‘The most common causes of pancreatitis are gallstones and alcohol use.’
- ‘Children with chronic hemolytic disorders generally have an increased risk of developing pigment gallstones.’
- ‘Exercise improves lower back pain, and prevents gallstones.’
- ‘This may predispose to gallstones, which in turn can lead to common bile duct obstruction.’
- ‘An abdominal computed tomographic scan showed gallstones and a splenic infarct.’
- ‘Obstetric cholestasis is associated with cholesterol gallstones.’
- ‘Common examples of these latter disorders include disturbance of liver cell function by acute hepatitis and obstruction of the bile ducts by impacted gallstones.’
- ‘The most common cause of acute cholecystitis is obstruction of the cystic duct by gallstones, resulting in acute inflammation.’
- ‘These will reveal any abnormality in the bile or pancreatic systems, such as gallstones, bile duct disorders, Pancreatitis or cancer of the head of the pancreas.’
- ‘There are many reasons for jaundice other than cancer, for example hepatitis, or obstruction of the common bile duct due to gallstones.’
- ‘This type of jaundice is usually caused by a gallstone, or a tumour or cyst in the bile duct or pancreas.’
- ‘In diabetic patients, the natural history of gallstones is generally benign, and there is low risk of a major complication.’
- ‘Elevated levels of cholesterol and bile pigments in the blood can cause gallstones, xanthomas, and high cholesterol.’
- ‘Approximately 90 percent of gallstones are composed of cholesterol.’
- ‘If it is caused by an obstruction such as a gallstone or a tumour, you may need to have surgery.’
- ‘If you have gallstones but no pain, chances are good the stones won't be a problem for you.’
- ‘When it precipitates in the gall bladder it forms crystalline solids called gallstones.’
- ‘The body can function well without a gallbladder and removing it is a common treatment for gallstones that are causing symptoms.’
- ‘A wide array of laboratory and radiologic studies is used for the evaluation of gallstones located in the gallbladder and the common bile duct.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.