One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A marsh lizard found in Central America and the Caribbean.
- ‘Other regionally endemic species that may be found are the mountain chicken, which is actually a type of frog, and the rare galliwasp, which is half-snake, half-lizard.’
- ‘Divorcing himself from feelings, he comes up with a weird comparison between human beings and galliwasps.’
- ‘In 1956, Cousens reported that a Jamaican giant galliwasp had not been collected in over one hundred years.’
- ‘Sloane described and illustrated one of these, the great galliwasp, which later became extinct.’
- ‘The galliwasp is also killed by dogs, cats and mongooses, and by people who mistakenly consider it to be venomous.’
Late 17th century: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.