One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small winged insect of antlike appearance. The female lays its egg in plant tissue, which swells to form a gall when the larva hatches.
- ‘Here he abandoned religion, raised a family, and won a reputation as a respected teacher and preeminent authority on gall wasps.’
- ‘He attended Harvard and received a Doctor of Science degree in taxonomy, and he devoted no less than 20 years of his life to researching the gall wasp.’
- ‘The hedgehog gall wasp can cause leaf galls with orangeish fuzz.’
- ‘Two or more years are required for gall wasps that develop in woody twig galls to reach maturity.’
- ‘Only a few species are known from South America and Africa and there are no native gall wasps in Australia.’
- ‘There are at least two different families of gall wasps which come in lay their eggs and that eats the maggot.’
- ‘Just how the different gall wasps stimulate oaks to form a specific kind of gall is not completely understood.’
- ‘As a by-product of that study, they discovered that females of a flea-sized prairie gall wasp, Antistrophus rufus, are able to alert males to their presence by altering the smell of the plants they live in.’
- ‘Aphids, grasshoppers, and gall wasps appear in the Cretaceous, as well as termites and ants in the later part of this period.’
- ‘Female gall wasps emit chemical pheromones into the plant stem to attract males in the spring.’
- ‘Socially inept, the young entymologist is delighted when he meets Clara, the only girl on campus as interested in gall wasps as he is.’
- ‘Prune gall wasp out of citrus trees before September to prevent eggs from hatching.’
- ‘The gall wasp, a native of Korea and Japan, entered this country in Georgia in 1974 from Asia.’
- ‘Each species of oak gall wasp attacks one to several host species, but none attack both white oaks and red oaks.’
- ‘He immerses himself in the study of the gall wasp, whose North American varieties were almost completely unresearched.’
- ‘Perhaps his background as a specialist on gall wasps wasn't the best start for the study of human relations.’
- ‘Even still, there are other perils awaiting the defenseless gall wasps inside their papery galls.’
- ‘Specifically, the researchers found that male gall wasps respond to uneven chemical ratios in the plants.’
- ‘His specialty was the physiology of the gall wasp.’
- ‘The stems are slightly swollen and if the gall wasps have emerged, their emergence holes are also noticeable.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.