Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A glycoside yielding galactose on hydrolysis.
- ‘In contrast, galactosides are considered as probiotics and are in fact added to specific products with therapeutic purposes.’
- ‘This enzyme is able to hydrolyse galactosides, such as galactinol.’
- ‘Trade-offs in catalytic efficiency at the lac permease of Escherichia coli produce alleles with different substrate specializations that are selectively favored on different galactosides.’
- ‘Detected levels of galactose and galactosides were very low, and no marked changes were observed with stress.’
- ‘Their red coloration is primarily due to the flavonoid cyanidin - 3 - galactoside located in the vacuoles of skin cells.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.