Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An enzyme, such as lactase, that is involved in the hydrolytic breakdown of a galactoside.
- ‘In this paper, the dynamic behavior of [beta] galactosidase was studied in chemostat cultures of E. coli synchronized with respect to cell division by periodic phosphate feeding at a period equal to the bacterial doubling time.’
- ‘If you don't digest beans, try a supplement containing alpha galactosidase, or another carbohydrate-splitting enzyme.’
- ‘The third term accounts for the conversion of lactose to allolactose as well as the hydrolysis of lactose to glucose and galactose via [beta] galactosidase.’
- ‘Extracts were prepared and galactosidase and ß-galactosidase assays were performed as described.’
- ‘However, the remarkable release of galactose during dismantling of fruit cell walls has led many researchers to study galactosidases due to their apparent involvement in the mobilization of galactose.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.