A food or drug that promotes or increases the flow of a mother's milk.
- ‘Some of the most commonly used herbal galactagogues are fenugreek, blessed thistle, and alfalfa.’
- ‘As it increases prolactin levels, it is accepted for use as a galactagogue to increase breast milk supply.’
- ‘It is often difficult to know what can be offered in the way of galactagogues to women.’
- ‘Also, keep in mind that galactagogues should be used for boosting supply, not maintaining.’
- ‘The oils of the seed increase milk flow which explains its folk use as a galactagogue.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek gala, galakt- milk + agōgos leading.