One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘They consume their victuals from an upside-down position in the belief it causes indigestion, sends the blood to the head and therefore increases belligerence gainfully.’
- ‘I faintly protested that travelling to and from the restaurant would be a waste of time, that could have been gainfully occupied with relating past events, mutual anecdotes and general merrymaking.’
- ‘The law protects the gainfully employed against workplace discrimination based on sexual orientation, but many gay workers still go to great lengths to maintain a dark shroud around their true identities.’
- ‘He's local, single, gainfully employed, really cute, not hung up on his ex, not living with his parents, not commitment phobic, very tall, very cute, and intelligent.’
- ‘The one-month programme recognises the fact that school children need to be gainfully occupied during summer holidays, he adds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.