One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A writer or performer of gags.
- ‘Determining to be funny at all times on screen, Lloyd surrounded himself with a crack team of gagmen, who came up with endless comic bits of business for his new character.’
- ‘This can be done by Inn members themselves, not by professional gagmen brought in to ghost write, or by surfing the Internet for a program created six years ago by some unnamed individuals.’
- ‘This included being a gagman at MGM, starring in a series of cheaply-made shorts at the poverty row studio Educational, and venturing to Europe to appear in a couple of features.’
- ‘Don't be surprised if not long from now another group of gagmen finds success by poking affectionate fun at spiky hair, nasal vocals and high-speed songs about breaking up.’
- ‘We made gagman do the cleaning up, training for his work at Lehman.’
- ‘We greet ministers who can't think of a moral, gagmen who can't think of a joke.’
- ‘Some of the gagmen who fashioned their material were also cartoonists.’
- ‘This may have been, in part, due to the fact that he was honing his skills as a writer and gagman at the time.’
- ‘Though comedians such as Keaton, Chaplin and Lloyd are still well known enough today to be identified with just a surname alone, the history of comedy is littered with dozens of other gagmen whose monikers have since disappeared into the shrouded mists of time.’
- ‘It's hard to see why Stan and the gagmen were so determined to do it because the results are pretty standard slapstick.’
- ‘In the tradition of animation's greatest gagmen, Patrol 03 gives us real police adventures, spiked with the finest in animation comedy, starring the world's most unimaginable law-enforcement officers!’
- ‘I have noticed on TV that the same handful of gagmen and women are everywhere.’
- ‘Over the past few weeks, the Democratic senators, their jesters and gagmen, have said just how sorry he is.’
- ‘What I hadn't realised is that Cryer, apart from being a consummate gagman, is a closet rocker.’
- ‘He was an old-style rat-a-tat Henny Youngman style gagman, and you could just imagine him on a stage in the waning days of vaudeville wearing a suit with oversized plaid pattern, a gigantic daisy and big shoes.’
- ‘Efforts to pin down the exact nature of jibe and jest have challenged pundits, professional fools, antic clowns, studious gagmen, comedians of every kind and medium.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.