One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A law forbidding the public disclosure of information on a particular matter.‘the gag law prohibits the publication of polling data for the last few days preceding a federal election’
- ‘In Minnesota, the U.S. Supreme Court declared state gag laws an unconstitutional prior restraint on speech.’
- ‘While the gag law isn't the end of democracy in Canada, it certainly is a major blow to it.’
- ‘The Lobbying Act - in reality, a gagging law - imposes onerous new regulations on nongovernmental organisations.’
- ‘Some protesters wore tape on their mouths and carried signs calling the law a "gagging law".’
- ‘In Canada, though, this will be less of a problem since we have gag law legislation.’
- ‘The gag law prevents people from having access to ideas that might help them make a more educated decision during an election.’
- ‘The proposed gagging law would have a chilling effect on British democracy and our right to speak up on issues that matter to us.’
- ‘A newspaper was shut down under Minnesota's gag law for accusing a mayor of being under the control of a gangster.’
- ‘This Government's gagging law is an attack on democracy with unfair consequences for charities in Plymouth.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.