Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The chemical element of atomic number 64, a soft silvery-white metal of the lanthanide series.
- ‘However, both germination and elongation are significantly inhibited by the inclusion of calcium channels blockers, including lanthanum, gadolinium, or verapamil.’
- ‘For undergraduate chemistry it was required that one could recite the whole thing from memory, to know that iridium lies at the foot of cobalt, that europium is sandwiched between samarium and gadolinium.’
- ‘This is a major improvement over gadolinium, a metal that has been used as a contrast agent for 20 years.’
- ‘In contrast, the prolonged increase in cytosolic calcium was greatly enhanced in the presence of gadolinium or lanthanum chloride.’
- ‘It has been known since the late 1970s that paramagnetic metal ions such as gadolinium improve the MRI signal, but the toxicity of these uncomplexed metal ions has limited their use.’
Late 19th century: from gadolinite.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.