The chemical element of atomic number 64, a soft silvery-white metal of the lanthanide series.
- ‘However, both germination and elongation are significantly inhibited by the inclusion of calcium channels blockers, including lanthanum, gadolinium, or verapamil.’
- ‘It has been known since the late 1970s that paramagnetic metal ions such as gadolinium improve the MRI signal, but the toxicity of these uncomplexed metal ions has limited their use.’
- ‘For undergraduate chemistry it was required that one could recite the whole thing from memory, to know that iridium lies at the foot of cobalt, that europium is sandwiched between samarium and gadolinium.’
- ‘This is a major improvement over gadolinium, a metal that has been used as a contrast agent for 20 years.’
- ‘In contrast, the prolonged increase in cytosolic calcium was greatly enhanced in the presence of gadolinium or lanthanum chloride.’
Late 19th century: from gadolinite.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.