One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A roof with two sloping sides and a gable at each end.
- ‘It may be that the change in form and lack of central posts reflect a shift from a hip roof with interior roof supports to a gable roof with a large central beam support.’
- ‘The steeply pitched gable roof, shutters and horizontal siding are other details often found in farmhouses.’
- ‘The ridge of the upper-floor ceiling is offset from the central ridge of the gable roof above.’
- ‘Hip roofs are gable roofs with the ends brought together at the same pitch as the rest of the roof.’
- ‘Steeply-pitched intersecting gable roofs were a key motif and decorated with spindlework and gingerbread.’
- ‘The main gable roof, with its clerestories and secondary skillions, is clad in a specially rolled profile.’
- ‘The chimneys, exposed on exterior walls and incorporated into corner piers, pierce the gable roofs at the ridges.’
- ‘The back and sides were apparently gilded, and the underside of the gable roof painted red.’
- ‘I know that when you are framing a gable roof, you can use collar ties in lieu of attaching ceiling joists to the bottom of the rafters.’
- ‘The new gable roof, parallel to the existing nave and a Diocesan Center, composes a triad of related forms.’
- ‘The prominent gable roof has the intriguing quality of seeming to float above the structure.’
- ‘In addition to the hip-roofed square, some cupolas were made more rectangular or in octagonal shapes, and there were gable roofs, modified Dutch hips and even pagoda-style curved hip roofs.’
- ‘A milder version of the shingle style, it shares much of the vocabulary of the style with Rosemary Lodge: asymmetrical massing, a shingled and clap-boarded facade, broad gable roofs pierced with dormers, and bracketed supports.’
- ‘The gable roof provides extra head room for doves, as they are larger than the other platform nesters.’
- ‘Once inside, you begin your journey along the spine, which is crowned with a curved gable roof - half glass and half opaque to provide sun control.’
- ‘Although the neighborhood currently uses grid power, the south sides of the gable roofs are pitched at just the right angle for the photovoltaic panels they'll add in the future.’
- ‘The ventilating openings should be installed in gable roofs to avoid the ‘mure’ phenomenon.’
- ‘It is cropped close to the low-pitched gable roof of a ranch house where a mysterious figure enclosed in the oval medallion floats by.’
- ‘The index school - the main part of which was erected in 1952-was a brick building with a gable roof and natural ventilation.’
- ‘The house shown here has two gable roofs and two dormers, each with gable roofs of their own.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.