One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Excessively or annoyingly talkative.
wordy, loquacious, garrulous, talkative, voluble, orotund, expansive, babbling, blathering, prattling, prating, jabbering, gushing, effusiveView synonyms
- ‘As befits the trade, antique dealers are gabby and knowledgeable and prone to bemoaning that things aren't what they used to be.’
- ‘Some readers may feel patronised, too: the novel's sprawl and large cast of gabby narrators mean that we're nudged over and over with key points of plot, history or polemic, in case we missed them the first time.’
- ‘Somewhere along the way, getting gabby on the field became a sin in the NFL's eyes, and I just don't understand why.’
- ‘Though you don't mind adding a few missing details you may have overheard, you're generally not the gabby type.’
- ‘My interest in Manchester's bands and their gabby, glib boss was minimal, but this is a gleefully rambunctious trip to a manky heart of darkness, with guns, deaths and prodigious amounts of drugs.’
- ‘At a recent London show, armed with no more than a backwoods beard, an acoustic guitar and an amazing voice, he silenced a room full of gabby, gossipy music-biz types, which is no mean feat.’
- ‘Unfortunately, this site's promoters have decided not to dispense with the gabby guide who makes these boat trips such a pain in cities all over the world.’
- ‘How did Britain become so gabby and in-your-face?’
- ‘Without getting all politically gabby, has there been somebody you've experienced first-hand where you were just completely floored by what a lunatic they were?’
- ‘Your gabby cousin, who happens to be standing right next to the buffet table, begins to talk your ear off.’
- ‘Unfortunately, truth serum, first used on spies in World War II, makes suspects gabby but not necessarily truthful.’
- ‘You sense it did not want to be some over the top trash classic about gabby gay gadflies cruising for fun in Chi-town.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.