One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bag net for catching fish.
- ‘In the next phase these bends were separated from the guiding fence and the basic structure of the fyke net with its double mouth was complete.’
- ‘The fyke nets are suspended by placing floats at the apex of each hoop, and on the top of the opening frames.’
- ‘The reason for the failure of the fyke nets to capture fry is probably related to location and timing of installation.’
- ‘Fish caught in the fyke nets are typically released unharmed.’
- ‘The small summer fykes are also used to catch both yellow and silver eels in small water bodies, both by commercial fishermen and also by part-time fishermen and sportsfishermen.’
- ‘Eel pots, long lines, coghill nets, fyke nets and traps are licenced by the Boards.’
- ‘This is largely in accordance with what could be expected from the seasonal variation in the number of Great Cormorants in Danish waters and in the number of actively fishing pound nets and fyke nets.’
- ‘Although much bigger fish have been caught in fyke nets used by commercial eel fishermen, the rod caught record is a fish of 11 lb 2oz caught in 1978 by S. Terry from Kingfisher Lake near Ringwood, Hampshire.’
- ‘The net is known as a fyke net, which is used to catch eels.’
- ‘These fykes were then left over night, and collected in the early morning.’
- ‘We studied the distribution of otter's activity in such habitats and investigated how locals use fykes there.’
- ‘In Lake Erie fish may be taken only in fyke nets and trap nets having a mesh size not less than 1 1/8 inches bar measure.’
- ‘Options are a variety of fykes, jigs or nets or to smaller groups for example fishing with rod and reel.’
- ‘The otters, an adult male and female and two cubs, were found trapped in a fyke net on the River Winster near Lindale two weeks ago.’
- ‘Fish were collected with either a winged fyke net or commercial minnow traps.’
- ‘One fyke net was set perpendicular to the shore at every shore station.’
Mid 19th century: from Dutch fuik ‘fish trap’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.