Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of popular music or electric instruments) having or producing a distorted buzzing tone.‘fuzzed guitars’
- ‘‘Wind is Howling’ tries too hard to elicit a haunting atmosphere with fuzzed ambience and a squealing dilruba in the background.’
- ‘Rockethouse, formerly known as Aerial Love Feed, has gone through a line-up and name change but has retained the essence of their fuzzed guitar sound.’
- ‘A massive gothic organ lifts the sublime ‘Escape Song’ up a gear before a Syd Barrett guitar hook progresses the track to a stomping fuzzed rock finale.’
- ‘A total reliance on fuzzed rhythm guitar is averted by recourse to keys and samplers.’
- ‘Rowan Oliver's drums suggest a meeting of Al Foster and Jaki Liebezeit while John Richards' electric bass is a malevolent, fuzzed monster.’
- ‘Yet the music they played, fuzzed garage punk that lifted liberally from such diverse strands as doo-wop, vaudeville, blues and sugary teen pop, absolutely refused to take any prisoners.’
- ‘What follows is a fuzzed and phased rhythm guitar workout over which Orridge sings through distorting filters.’
- ‘‘Sounds from the Village’ is even better, showcasing Ranelin's oily trombone gymnastics and a viciously fuzzed guitar solo.’
- ‘The rest of the album piles up vocal samples, fuzzed guitars, loops, funkflavor and buzzed keyboards.’
- ‘Think early prodigy fuzzed sub bass mixed with a growling Stranglers sound.’
- ‘French horn, mellotron and fuzzed electric bass provide a shifting, nervy backdrop for Rypdal's extended guitar workouts, marrying dense, dark textural exploration with vibrant improvisational flair.’
- ‘Though Pinhas adopts the same, pure fuzzed tone and a liking for big slides up and down the fretboard, closer listening reveals a more personal aesthetic at work.’
- ‘Melistar rides a fuzzed bassline similar to Thomas Heckmann's ‘Amphetamine’ and blankly mimics Miss Kittin's vacant delivery.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.