One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Systematic forecasting of the future, especially from present trends in society.
- ‘This reminds me, one great example of Victorian futurology, I've put here on my site: Edison's Telephonoscope, in effect, a webcam (England to Australia), as imagined in 1879!’
- ‘Some 30 years ago there was some interest in futurology in a few sociology departments but it dwindled over time, perhaps because it is so difficult to quantify the interactions of many variables when their values represent only a guess.’
- ‘I'll get back onto project management and futurology soon.’
- ‘In the area of futurology and the meaning of life, these are a couple of podcasts from IT Conversation that spoke to me lately.’
- ‘A similar process is taking place with regard to military study of systems, military study of conflicts, military futurology and military science of science.’
- ‘So if you're good enough at futurology, you can make it a little bit of a self fulfilling prophecy.’
- ‘This skepticism comes from three sources: the limits of futurology, the science of behavioural genetics, and human nature itself.’
- ‘Yet, even with those caveats, futurology is valuable as it can help us expose lunatics.’
- ‘Wisely, given the mercurial nature of futurology, Pryor keeps his statistics basic and his explanations closely tied to the quantitative data on expected economic changes and impacts.’
- ‘The next section continues along these lines, offering a modest exercise in futurology and a selective listing of future areas for research.’
- ‘The ‘imaginary’ web is conjured up particularly by speculative futurology about how it will change everything utterly.’
- ‘But, as Margolis points out, futurology isn't so much about sketching an inevitable tomorrow as it is about helping to make choices about it.’
- ‘While the futurology may be contentious, I believe there are considerable merits in the cautionary approach outlined in this book.’
- ‘Bruce Sterling spent some time at the recent SXSW conference chatting about futurology in his usual entertaining style.’
- ‘In a sense, the perception of the future as a supreme resource is the driving force of futurology.’
- ‘However, as a necessary precursor to that analysis four caveats, or warnings, are signaled which bear upon the degree of confidence that should, and should not, be placed in strategic futurology.’
- ‘Amongst some managers, however, a change of thinking is becoming apparent: a thinking that suggests that futurology is a worthwhile practice.’
- ‘The book goes off the rails at the very end with a chapter of futurology.’
- ‘Bluntly stated, the historical record of tolerably accurate strategic futurology is anything but impressive.’
- ‘Most technological futurology see agents as benign, as obedient slaves who only have our best interests at heart.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.