One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A Japanese quilted mattress rolled out on the floor for use as a bed.
- ‘Other parents sleep next to their infants on bamboo or straw mats or on futons (as in Japan).’
- ‘Rubbing her blue eyes, Nanashi finally rolled off her futon, letting a deep yawn escape as she did.’
- ‘Happy that she indeed looked like a normal person sleeping, he himself laid upon his futon, rolling onto his right side, facing away from her.’
- ‘There was little need for furniture, his futon, a small writing desk, a low table with cushions, and his dressers and wardrobes.’
- ‘A storage compartment for futons and bed linens is built into the upstairs floor.’
- ‘Instead of a space-consuming bed, a folded futon mattress with a blanket and two pillows stood near the table, leaning against the wall.’
- ‘She also explained Hurrion furniture was basic, their beds comparable to oriental futons, a thin mattress on a sturdy portable cot.’
- ‘They walked upstairs and Shannon got out sheets and a pillow for the futon in the guest bedroom.’
- ‘On the west side of the room, bedding, sheets, blankets, and pillows served as a futon.’
- ‘Prized for being both firm and supple, the Airflex features crimped coil innersprings that allow it to be folded over like a futon.’
- ‘As I was folding up the futon this morning I looked over to see Mike making off with my cell phone in his mouth.’
- ‘There where a small ground level table and two futons rolled out on the wooden floor.’
- ‘Nadia woke with a jolt as she rolled off the futon.’
- ‘Also in the past few weeks I attended Abi & David's wedding which was bi-lingual (kinda like being at Eurovision) and have stayed at various houses on sofas, futons, floors and camp beds!’
- ‘Seats are removed and replaced with a futon or mattress for the flights.’
- ‘The only furnishing visible were a table and chair, and a futon rolled up in one corner.’
- ‘Stephen sat across from Olivia on the futon with his hands folded on his lap, starring at her with what Adrian would later describe as reverence.’
- ‘Meaning we make up our own futons at night and roll them away neatly in the morning.’
- ‘She rolled off of the futon that Richard slept on and stood up.’
- ‘We roll off the futon and onto the straw mats, which are cool and ribbed in tight weave and burn our skin in what look like stratified splotches in the glare of a turquoise lava lamp.’
- 1.1 A type of low wooden sofa that can be unfolded for use as a bed.
- ‘Wood-slatted futons are no longer the only option and Innovation's sofa beds are both trendy and practical.’
- ‘Isabella took a seat across from the girls' bunk beds on their small futon.’
- ‘Brought to you by Space Craft, a Chennai based furniture company brings down its specialities in sofas, double and single beds, sofa cum beds, futons, recliners and rockers in just a week after the order.’
- ‘Past the lockers and sleeping area was the living area, with a four seater table and chairs, a futon, two tall bookshelves, and a ratty rug.’
- ‘Then she took a seat on the small futon and acknowledged me to sit beside her.’
- ‘Me and the little woman have been shopping for a new couch to replace our futon.’
- ‘There is room for a futon or sofa bed, making the level ideal for overnight guest accommodation.’
- ‘Rika noticed that there was a futon in the couch position shoved against the wall with blankets thrown over it.’
- ‘He had a futon - a couch that folded out to be a bed - instead of an actual bed.’
- ‘I really prefer to fold up the futon each day and would love to have a Murphy bed or this nifty one I found that folds up on a gliding hinge to be a desk by day.’
- ‘She found a nice wood kitchen set to replace the card table and folding chairs, and brought the futon she had saved from New Jersey as a couch.’
- ‘I follow Gideon blindly down the stairs to the parlor, where he sits on a love seat and I sit on a futon across from him.’
Late 19th century: Japanese.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.