Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The runic alphabet.
- ‘If you compare the futhorc given above, you will see that Tolkien has altered some the rune shapes.’
- ‘It didn't really matter if I mixed Latin written in a Scandinavian futhark with English or Italian in a Celtic futhorc in the same painting.’
- ‘All other futharks are a variation of these, and use the same basic symbols and meanings.’
- ‘Furthermore, several rune alphabets or futharks have been left behind to puzzle scholars.’
- ‘The English alphabet Old English was first written in the runic alphabet known as futhork, and isolated runic inscriptions continued to be made in Britain until the 12c.’
- ‘The younger futhork was in widespread use in Scandinavia from approx. the 9th to the 11 th centuries.’
- ‘There are pictures galore of many different futharks, transliterated and translated inscriptions, some discussion - you name it.’
- ‘The original futhorc was invented north of the Alps in the first centuries of the Christian era.’
- ‘The major runic alphabets are called futharks based upon the first six symbols.’
- ‘The futhark was an alphabet of runes, used by Germanic people until the fifteenth century.’
- ‘The Anglo-Saxon futhorc used by Tolkien has 31 distinct characters, some of which have variants.’
- ‘The ordered set of letters, what we call the alphabet, was referred to as the futhark, or futhorc, or other like names, depending on the language and the current letter set.’
- ‘Thorn and edh survived into the middle ages after the other futhorks had been forgotten.’
- ‘One inscription is a copy of the twenty-eight letters of the runic alphabet, known as the futhorc.’
- ‘And though it only lists the runestaves of the Younger Futhark, it appears alongside an Old English futhorc.’
- ‘Two runic futhorks, one earlier than the other, are employed.’
- ‘The ‘Rune Poem’ goes through the entire futhorc, describing each rune in a separate verse.’
- ‘Light shone off the blade brilliantly and several words in futhark were in the blade.’
- ‘And you find yourself sitting alone, thinking of someone you knew before something you must have said about scrimshaw or futhark.’
- ‘The different futharks do have slightly different forms for several runes, as well as varying inclusions.’
Mid 19th century: from letters corresponding to the first six letters of the ancient runic alphabet: f, u, th, a (or o), r, k.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.