One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A box housing the fuses for circuits in a building.
- ‘Simply go to the fuse boxes which may correspond and if one switch is off and all others are on, switch the odd one back on.’
- ‘He quickly went to work in the room that seemed to contain a giant fuse box and a lot of wires.’
- ‘A new cooker circuit is quite expensive to install as the cable is larger and the circuit needs to be supplied from the fuse board to the cooker.’
- ‘We are able to replace existing fuse boards or select and install new ones which are suitable for your household.’
- ‘The source of the fire was an electrical fault and was traced to an old fuse board.’
- ‘Firefighters from Camborne and Redruth attended when a fuse board in a flat caught fire.’
- ‘Make sure that you know how to switch off the mains supply at the fuse box, and store spare fuses in a handy place.’
- ‘From the fuse board wires are led to the individual cord circuits at each section of the main switchboard.’
- ‘We are going back today to investigate this because the fuse box is brand new.’
- ‘One of them did the actual driving, and the other was on-hand to bend down and fix the fuse box by the dashboard whenever the vehicle came to an unexpected and complete stand-still (which was five times in total).’
- ‘Two of the trip switches in our fuse box cannot be switched back on again because the power to the ex-garage was linked to those circuits and until that supply is isolated there's a short circuit.’
- ‘If the lights go out you will always have to go to the fuse board, so you'll know where to find the torch.’
- ‘This image set shows the temperature profile of a 1 amp fuse board under varying loads, with varying palette scales.’
- ‘Getting back from the supermarket, we found the kitchen sockets switch tripped at the fuse box, and eventually isolated the problem as the washing machine which, at a mere 8 years old, looks as if it's giving up the ghost.’
- ‘He also helpfully advised us that this procedure was also highly effective for use in fuse boards.’
- ‘I didn't know anything about a fuse box or breaker.’
- ‘The latest generation of fuse boxes are safe, easy to use and can be located in the most convenient position for you.’
- ‘I clicked off the switch, and ran downstairs to the fuse box, to switch off the electricity.’
- ‘We offer a full supply and fit service when fitting new fuse boards with makes from MK, Wylex and many more.’
- ‘We're shopping for an older house and many of the houses we've looked at have fuse boxes rather than circuit breakers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.