One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The simultaneous or repeated occurrence of boils on the skin.
- ‘Further investigation also confirmed that anal furunculosis is frequently accompanied with IBD.’
- ‘The differential diagnosis includes furunculosis, infected epidermoid cysts and granulomatous disease.’
- ‘HD is a well known Chinese folk medicine used for the treatment of various diseases including hepatitis, tonsillitis, sore throat, appendicitis, urethral infection, contusions, furunculosis and cancers, etc.’
- ‘If bacteria cause the interdigital furunculosis, there may be several nodules with new lesions developing as others resolve.’
- ‘This disease is a localized folliculitis, which is an inflammation of the hair follicle, and furunculosis or rupture of the hair follicle restricted to the chin and lips.’
2A bacterial disease of salmon and trout.
- ‘To date, there have been no reports of ‘typical’ furunculosis in salmonids in Australia, despite many attempts to isolate the organism.’
- ‘Although A. salmonicida is well known as the causative agent for the disease furunculosis in salmonids, it can also manifest itself with other conditions in non-salmonids.’
- ‘In the former season 96 salmon kelts were examined and 85 of these had furunculosis; in the latter season, up to the time of going to press, 9 out of 24 kelts examined had furunculosis.’
- ‘Farmed fish contracted antibiotic-resistant strains of furunculosis, a fatal disease that produces ugly skin ulcers; wild salmon that migrated past their pens also contracted the disease.’
- ‘In the meantime, new diseases like furunculosis, infectious pancreatic necrosis, infectious salmon anaemia and cardiomyopathy syndrome are surfacing at regular intervals.’
Late 19th century: from furuncle + -osis.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.