Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1usually furnishingsFurniture, fittings, and other decorative accessories, such as curtains and carpets, for a house or room.
- ‘The solid mahogany bar fittings and furniture and deep pile furnishings sets the tone of the club.’
- ‘It also houses an extensive array of furniture, furnishings and assorted curios.’
- ‘Each room had the same furnishings and amount of dirt, the only thing that changed was the color.’
- ‘Once all fittings and furnishings are chosen, she travels to the resorts to meet the furniture on arrival.’
- ‘To get rid of red wine stains on furnishings and carpets don't apply salt - use carbonated soda water instead.’
- ‘They shined a dirty light on the only furnishings in the room, a chair and a small table.’
- ‘Tactile elements, such as luxurious carpeting and quality furnishings, are a bonus.’
- ‘In the end, the cost of the house and its furnishings totaled more than one million dollars.’
- ‘Even with the simplest furnishings, the proper use of color can transform a room.’
- ‘The cleanliness of the carpets and furnishings should also be assessed and dust levels kept low.’
- ‘Then she turned from the trunk and made a slow perusal of the room and its furnishings.’
- ‘Room furnishings, right down to the Egyptian cotton sheets, are top notch everywhere in the hotel.’
- ‘The front desk takes care of everything from laundering sheets to updating furnishings.’
- ‘This spare space must still be filled with furnishings, appliances, carpets and curtains.’
- ‘To break the monotony, we hopped along the road in a westerly direction to pay a visit to a large furniture and furnishings store.’
- ‘She emphasised that they should give careful consideration to the way in which furnishings and furniture are placed in a room.’
- ‘They took furnishings, china, sofas, televisions and goodness only knows what else.’
- ‘You have to help me choose the styles of her gown, not to mention furnishings for her room.’
- ‘The houses would need to be empty and if they have period furniture and furnishings that would be an extra advantage.’
- ‘In the wet season the rain pours in, ruining the last of the royal carpets and furnishings.’
2The action of decorating a house or room and providing it with furniture and fittings.
- ‘Thanks to television and home interest magazines devoted to room makeovers, home furnishing has become a fashionable activity.’
- ‘The launch of more than a couple of new retail finance schemes - personal loan for medical practitioners and for furnishing of houses and flats under the housing loan scheme - has also proved successful.’
- ‘There are references to important pieces still belonging to the descendants of the original owners, but surprisingly few to the decoration and furnishing of the grand houses of the nobility.’
- ‘Decorating and furnishing these houses required thoughtful, carefully orchestrated purchases and may have been the initial impetus to begin collecting art.’
- ‘He decided to reclaim the house, and in 1997, with his wife, Caroline, began the mammoth task of repairing, rewiring and replumbing, decorating and furnishing.’
- ‘Their interest in such subjects provided the inspiration for much of the decoration and furnishing of the Brick House.’
- ‘Interior decorators help you put your creative stamp in your home by dealing with decorating, furnishing, and space issues, often in unique ways.’
- ‘Home furnishing should rebound from a poor start to the year while food sales will lift 5%, said stockbroker Gerrard.’
- ‘The underlying reason is that the refurbishment and furnishing of the mayoral house has been tamely acceded to.’
- ‘I am happy to go back to Canada and start furnishing and living in our new house.’
- ‘Indian consumers are also using the plastic money for everyday spends such as petrol, hospitals, telephone services and home furnishing.’
- ‘This sum will facilitate the building and furnishing of a house in Africa and the organisers appreciate the response of the community and the help of the collectors.’
- ‘Bobby O'Reilly heads a team of professionals working solely on investment properties abroad who can provide full service of sales, furnishing and letting.’
- ‘They had planned to get a house and start furnishing it around September next year.’
Denoting fabrics used for curtains, upholstery, or floor coverings.‘they create historic furnishing textiles for the finest museums’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.